FLASH UPDATE #1 – Tropical Cyclone HAMOON
Country under monitoring: Myanmar
OVERVIEW: According to DMH Myanmar, Tropical Cyclone (TC) HAMOON has moved Northeastwards and now lies over Northwest of Bay of Bengal and intensified into a severe cyclonic storm. TC HAMOON was located near 19.3N, 88.4E, approximately 482 km West-Southwest of Sittwe, Myanmar.
STRENGTH: According to the ASEAN DMRS, TC HAMOON, currently equivalent to a Category 1 hurricane (on the Saffir-Simpson scale), with maximum sustained winds of 130 km/h, and wind gusts up to 157 km/h.
DMH CYCLONE COLOR STAGE: The present stage of TC HAMOON is coded Yellow stage (DMH). Yellow color STAGE means a storm is formed but it not moving towards Myanmar Coast.
- According to DMH Myanmar, TC HAMOON is likely continue to move North-Northeastwards.
- TC HAMOON is likely to cross Bangladesh coast during next 36 hrs (DMH).
- According to the global forecast model, TC HAMOON is expected to make landfall within the next 19 hours, along the shores of Bangladesh, with sustained winds of about 74 km/h.
- According to DMH Myanmar, there will widespread rain or thunderstorms over Chin and Rakhine; scattered to fairly widespread over Naypyitaw, Sagaing, Mandalay, Magway, and Shan; and isolated heavy rainfall in some Regions and States.
- According to the ASEAN DMRS, at most breaking of tree branches and swaying of small to large trees (TAOS) over Rakhine (Maungdaw, Sittwe, Kyauktaw, and Mrauk-U) and Chin (Mindat, Hakha, and Falam).
- According to the ASEAN DMRS, at most 228.9 – 304.8 mm of Tropical Cyclone-associated rainfall is possible over Rakhine, Chin, and Magway.
PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE:
- DDM has disseminated the alert to Rakhine Authorities for the potential impacts of Tropical Cyclone HAMOON to Myanmar particularly to Rakhine State.
- Following the alert, the Rakhine Authorities are already on standby and have conducted several preparedness actions in anticipation of the potential impacts of Tropical Cyclone HAMOON (DDM).
The AHA Centre will continue to monitor for further developments and issue necessary updates.
ASEAN Disaster Monitoring & Response System (DMRS);
Myanmar: DDM, DMH;
Verified news media agencies.